Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hey Holt ... where's the truth?
My letter

"Take Your Students to New Heights with Discovery-Based Learning"

We all agree that students learn best when they are involved in the learning process. Research confirms what we know from our professional experiences — that discovery-based learning helps close the achievement gap...
from:
http://holtmcdougal.hmhco.com/hm/math.htm

No I do not agree.
Send me an email and I will send you my research.

I've analyzed achievement gap data over a twelve year period in Seattle and find that the achievement gap has constantly increased each year with the discovery-based learning advocated and practiced by the Seattle Schools.

I await your response and I will be happy to furnish you with data.

Studies which report gains from discovery-learning often have other factors operating that are ignored.

Read NMAP's recommendations about research.

Danaher Dempsey
Washington State Board of Education
Math Advisory Panelist (2007-2009)

------------------------------------------
Please take a little time to inform Holt about the nature of research and reality.

I urge you to use the response form
included on the Holt contact us page:
http://holtmcdougal.hmhco.com/hm/contact_us.htm#ContactForm

No comments: