- Bellevue has grown the (see attached)
- Bellevue has a very high commercial tutoring centers to child ratio , to compensate for those subjects not taught well and that teachers are not allowed to supplement.
- Bellevue's SAT scores from 1997-2007 increased only 2.3%
- Bellevue dropped the only National ranking test (ITBD and ITED) in 2005. Both of these tests were showing stagnant student achievement, at best. http://www.bsd405. org/default. aspx?tabID= 725
- Bellevue has the worst middle school and high school math program in the country. http://ies.ed. gov/ncee/ wwc/pdf/WWC_ CMP_040907. pdf
- Our elementary students no longer have and are not taught vocabulary and grammar.
Saturday, August 30, 2008
As the parent of Bellevue children, I am concerned by your Editorial Board's refusal to engage in investigative journalism. It is easy to peel the top layer from the Bellevue Schools facade to discover the many layers of discontent breeding among the teachers, parents and students.
This past spring, the Bellevue School Board interviewed over 600 teachers and compiled the data from these interviews. The common complaint? The mandated, scripted lessons. The teachers are not against a common curriculum. This is about the how - mandating a scripted lesson on a predetermined calendar, regardless of whether a teacher has accelerated students or students that need more time. The Bellevue School Board and the administration has had this information for months and refused to act on it. No wonder the teachers are mad.
A larger concern should be that administrators are choosing a common curriculum based on the latest education theory and this has not produced great results:
Parents want accountability and not a slick marketing campaign explaining a misguided theory . A successful use of the curriculum web would encourage teacher collaboration and an exchange of ideas of how to implement the curriculum, not a mandate. We believe we have the teachers in place to make Bellevue stronger. We believe in a common curriculum. Parents want to know that Bellevue students can compete on a national and international level. However, we have no confidence in the current administration or school board to make those curriculum or supplement decisions.
Thank you for your time,