Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Discovery Learning

Discovery learning in mathematics: Exercises vs. Problems
by Barry Garelick


http://npe.educationnews.org/Review/Essays/v5n2.htm

---

Will Seattle be Discovering Algebra, Discovering Geometry, Discovering Advanced Algebra?
or teaching some algebra and some geometry?

Find out at Thursday's meeting.
------


What is Discovery Learning?
By way of introduction, I am neither mathematician nor mathematics teacher, but I majored in math and have used it throughout my career, especially in the last 17 years as an analyst for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. My love of and facility with math is due to good teaching and good textbooks. The teachers I had in primary and secondary school provided explicit instruction and answered students’ questions; they also posed challenging problems that required us to apply what we had learned. The textbooks I used also contained explanations of the material with examples that showed every step of the problem solving process.

I fully expected the same for my daughter, but after seeing what passed for mathematics in her elementary school, I became increasingly distressed over how math is currently taught in many schools. Optimistically believing that I could make a difference in at least a few students’ lives, I decided to teach math when I retire. I enrolled in education school about two years ago, and have one class and a 15-week student teaching requirement to go. Although I had a fairly good idea of what I was in for with respect to educational theories, I was still dismayed at what I found in my mathematics education courses.

No comments: