Sunday, March 29, 2009

Discovering Algebra vs. Prentice Hall

Here is a Power Point presentation.

Seattle Schools Math Program Manager Anna Maria de la Fuente is recommending the "Discovering Series" for adoption. She thinks this series is mathematically sound. She is recommending what I believe are mathematically unsound materials. The State Board of Education found this series mathematically unsound.

So you be the judge on Discovering Algebra.

http://www.mathunderground.net/Prentice-Hall_vs_Dissolving-Algebra.ppt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just discovered the Math Underground and have been fighting my own personal battle against the crummy math texts in use at the Seattle School District. I've been coaching my 13 year old at home for the last 3 years.

How can I get more involved in fixing the Math curriculum debacle in Seattle? I'm an engineer with a B.S. in Engineering Mechanics from Illinois and a MS in Systems Management from USC. I've had a little math.